The Isobel Fraser Home has been providing care in Inverness since 1899, when Mrs Isobel Fraser opened a small Home in Crown Street. The first Home was women-only and was soon expanding into a larger property at 42 Charles Street. Isobel Fraser died in 1918 and as a mark of respect, the Home was named after her. After her death the Home continued to expand with the current Home being opened in 1938. This page contains several items and links that give an insight into the history of the Home. We hope you enjoy "rummaging around".
The Home has had royal connections over the years. The first image shows Princess Anne visiting the Home in 1999 to celebrate our 100th anniversary. However, our connection goes much further back. When the then Trustees were raising funds to construct the current Home, her grandmother gave a donation, although the amount is lost in the mists of time!
The present Home was opened in 1938 after a significant fundraising effort involving many local residents and dignitaries. As you can see in the image below, the residents enjoyed the odd game of putting!
The opening ceremony was extensively reported by the local press with both the Scotsman and the Herald giving it more limited coverage. An extract from the Inverness Courier from August 26th 1938 can be read here.
During WW2 the Home continued in operation with residents helping with the war effort. The Home also tried to help those in need after losing their homes in the German bombing campaign.
Providing activities for our residents is a key part of our care. It was no different in the past as these clippings show.
Funding the Home has been a constant issue over the years. The people of Inverness and the wider Highlands have been generous in their donations enabling many improvements to the Home's facilities.
Birthdays are always celebrated at the Home, including the major milestones.
For many years the Home was part of the Aged Christian Friend Society of Scotland before becoming independent in the 1960s. Each year the Society produced an Annual Report. Click on the front page to read the Report for 1939
Over the years the local press has reported on the Home's Annual General Meetings. The images below give a flavour of the work of the Home in the past.